Happy, sad, excited, scared, lonely, anxious.....the feelings are all here once again. Boyd got his mission call yesterday and I am so proud of him. I will worry and miss him like I do with Cortnie, but with faith all will be well and things will be okay.
It has been another rollercoaster ride. Boyd decided it was finally time to apply for his call about a month ago. He met with the bishop and was found worthy to be a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Bishop released his paperwork and we began to get it all ready. He had his wisdom teeth pulled last summer and met with the doctor and got clearance from them both. It took him only one day to complete the paperwork then was back at the bishop's door. He was so excited when he walked out and released that this was getting real. President Miller was the next step. I took him to Kingman for the appointment and he was really quiet. I talked to him about his feelings and he was pretty nervous. I was worried that he was not ready and did not really want to do this. However, the smile on his face upon exiting President Miller's office was larger than life. I knew then that he was prepared and finally exited. He was relieved to have the interviews over.
President Miller told us it would take about ten days for the call to come. I was not sure whether to believe that or not as that is what Cortnie was told too and she had to wait another week. We figured if it came it would come on Wednesday or Thursday. The mailbox was empty on Wednesday. We kept teasing him though about it coming when it really had not. He is such a fun person to tease. Anyway, Thursday he was the first one home. I really wanted to be here when he opened the mailbox, but he was alone. I texted him from work and asked him if the call had come...and he said "maybe". I knew that it had. I hurried home (as everyone else was already there by this time). I asked him where it was when I got home and he said he had hid it. Funny kid. It took us about an hour to get everyone on the computers or phone and then we were ready.
Boyd was still playing around. He asked us all if we were ready and I asked him if he was. He started to get up and said "no, let's wait one more day" then laughed and sat back down. He was a little bit nervous but soon the envelope was opened. Brittnie was standing to the side of him and slowly inched her way over to where she could read the letter. She saw before he did where he was going and covered her mouth. He began to read: "Dear Elder Beatty, You are hereby called to serve as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the Virginia, Richmond Mission." I could sense a tiny bit of disappoint as I knew that he really wanted to go foreign...but it was okay. He continued to read...." You will report to the Missionary Training Center is Mexico" - we all started to scream and laugh and he threw back his head. We knew what that meant - he was going to be speaking Spanish. He was so hoping to not have to learn Spanish either. He kept reading to find out that he will enter the MTC on July 30th. Since he goes to Mexico, that means that we put him on the plane in Las Vegas to travel by himself to a foreign country where he will be all alone - well kind of.
As we spend the rest of the night calling everyone and posting it on facebook, he became more and more excited. I think our Sister Missionaries were more excited than anyone - especially Sister Toyn. She just left that MTC about three weeks ago. She is so excited for him and was telling him all about it tonight and what to expect and who to see. Another tender mercy that Heavenly Father gave to me by sending them here. They will help train him - he will go out with them and they will speak Spanish to them. Boyd said last night that he knows now this is where he is supposed to go. He will probably freeze his little tail off but he is excited.
He will be great missionary. I have known that for a long time, but it is still not easy. I am just going to get one home (61 days to be precise) and then the other will leave. Boyd still seems so young to me and has never left home for more than a week. He is such a big teddy bear and really watches out and takes care of me. I will so miss his big bear hugs and his kisses. He is the most loving boy a mother could ask for. Once again, my faith is being tested and the tears are starting to roll, but I am trying not to show that side to him. The time will come for that all too soon. I just pray that my Heavenly Father will keep him safe in his arms and watch over him. Two years will be a very long time. I am proud of you son.
Friday, March 14, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment