Sunday, September 14, 2014

Tender Mercies

Yesterday we had the opportunity to talk to Boyd during his layover in Atlanta.  I will have to say, he was very nervous and scared and cried a whole lot. That is so not what this momma wanted to hear.  I prayed so hard the rest of the day to know how to help him. I belong to a group on facebook that is for mothers of missionaries and I felt prompted to post a request on there for mothers to pray for Boyd to be comforted and for him to feel the spirit.  The story unfolds from there......and this is the angel who was a part of our Tender Mercy from the Lord.  I will forever be grateful to her....


So with all of that said here is how my day of service with the missionaries came to be.... While we were traveling home from dropping our daughter off at BYU-Idaho, in the middle of no where Wyoming, my phone rang and I saw on caller ID it was the Sisters.  My first thought was to ignore the call, what could I do so far from home, but something said answer it.   Sister Nelson (a sister missionary in our stake) was on the other end.   She said "Sister Kemmey, is there any way possible you could drive to transfers this month"?  I said well I am not home right now, we are out west, but heading home even as we speak.  I will look at my calendar, we should be home by the weekend and I will let you know.  Now, just a little history, I LOVE Sister Nelson.  She is one of those sweet sisters you could and would want to claim as your own.  Well as we got home, life got in the way, kids heading to school, going back to work, and trying to adjust back to a schedule, and although I didn't forget, I just brushed it aside....Until...last week when I had the distinct impression to call her and tell her I would be more than happy to drive Richmond.  (It's about an hour and twenty minutes away).  I will be honest, it was like as if I was talking to you, someone saying you NEED to do this.. How do you argue with the spirit...YOU  DON'T.  We had to meet at the church at 11 this morning.  Yesterday, I texted Sister Nelson and asked "Hey do they feed you guys at transfers".  She said "No", but we have strong stomachs.  Well my first bought was, this is over the lunch hour and although they are missionaries they are still kids.  I put my thinking cap on and quickly thought of making lunch sacks with all the goodies a good homemade lunch could provide, right down to homemade pumpkin whoopee pies and M&M's.  Don't worry there was fruit and a deli sandwich as well.  While I was out last night running errands I happen to call my sister Amy and told her what I had planned and asked her what she thought..She's crazy like me, and would have done the exact same thing.   Infact, I told her I was pulling an Amy.  As we were talking she said hey I am on this Facebook page called missionary momma's and there was this mom who posted her plea for prayers on behalf of her son who was headed to the Richmond VA mission.  I said to her, wait "I am taking sisters tomorrow, what's his name"  I will find him. Last night your son was on my mind the whole night,  I did not rest well, knowing I needed to find him and let him know there were many of us thinking of him and praying for him. When I got up this morning, somehow I knew deep inside I would find him and that all would be well.  As the Elders and Sisters piled in my van, I told them I had a huge favor to ask.  I said "guys there's an brand new missionary, he's homesick, scared and brand new.  I need you to take this bag and write something loving and encouraging to him...You guys remember you first days in the mission. "  They were all so nice and kind...I was touched to read the sweet things they wrote. So as this whole story has come full circle the LORD knew I needed to be the one to drive today...It's the TENDER MERCIES of the spirit.  Sometimes we doubt that still small voice.  For me, I am so thankful I listened.

She also snatched some pictures of him and his new companion which are priceless....I will say, he looks like he might have lost some weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment