Saturday, August 3, 2013

Opportunities Bring Blessings.....

Well, my life has been changed dramatically in the last couple of weeks.  I just re-read my last post that was all about blessings and how great life is.  I still am so happy and grateful for all that I have.  I know that my blessings come from my Heavenly Father.  I know that He knows more about my life, my strengths, my weaknesses...more about me than I do.  Sometimes though, I want to question what He knows and why He places opportunities and obstacles in my way. 

This past couple or weeks have been extremely busy.  I have been in charge of three major parties - one a week so have been a little bit stressed.  One was at work, one was another large church party (which I was only asked to do one week before it was put on) and a very large baby shower this week.  I love helping to organize parties and they usually turn out pretty well. I have done enough of them that I have a pretty good handle on what to do and how much food.  it does not mean that it is all peachy though and I don't stress just a little bit. I  am grateful for my family and all the help they usually put in - as it always seems to turn into a family help time.  I have loved teaching my babies in my sunbeam class at church and was finally looking forward to having some free time again after all the parties were over - and time for my treadmill again.  I really need that!!

Anyway, I go to church two weeks ago just as happy as can be.  Rob tells me on the way there that the bishop wants to meet with us after church - again!!  That would be three weeks in a row for me.  I think nothing of it really but my mind wonders just a tiny bit what it could be for.  I really had no clue.  Well, to make a long story short, as I get in the chapel I am talking with my friend who tells me the Relief Society President is moving.  I am totally surprised by this and suddenly my heart drops.  I began to wonder now what really is going on but keep telling myself that it is nothing. Well, during the sacrament it came to me that I was going to be the new Relief Society President.  I tried so hard to ignore the feelings but I just knew.  I sat with Rob after the sacrament (I play the piano for the music) and leaned to him to tell him my feelings. A silent tear comes to my eyes.  He hugs me and tells me that we both know that it is right but my heart keeps telling me no.  So, after church we journey to the bishops office.  He calls me in first and gives me a short temple recommend....there is not doubt in my mind now.  After Rob joins us, he proceeds to ask me to be the president.  I told him that I knew it was coming but just sat there for a minute. All was quiet.  I then told him that he know I would not say no and I accepted.  My heart wanted to stop.  I really wanted to scream and shout no and I wanted to cry.  I could not believe this was happening.  I have already had this calling and in this ward.  Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would do it again here.  Never!!  But, it was happening and I knew I needed to change my attitude.

We told our children later that day and they all agreed that the ward needed this.  Even Cortnie said that she knew that it was right and I would be the angel this ward needed.  I was really hoping one for them would agree with me that it was not right and they could find someone else.  I will tell you that I really struggled for almost a week.  I was able to be touched by the spirit enough to choose the counselors and secretary that I know Heavenly Father wanted and I am grateful for that.  As I went to bed the Saturday before, I cried on Rob's shoulder. I told him my heart was just not in this and I was really having a hard time.  I knew it was right but I could not convince myself that it was. Satan was working too hard on me.  The next day I was sustained in church.  I think there were some people that were really shocked as was I. However, I have since had many of them come to me and tell me that they know I am suppose to be in this position - they have been told that themselves. That helps some but it is still hard.  As I was set apart I finally got the answers that I needed. The bishop told me that this calling was from my Heavenly Father and He needed me right now.  He needed me to bring the sisters back together and help them to find their way back to Him.  He needed me to have love and compassion for each of them and help them to grow.  I was promised that I would have the time and energy that I needed to fulfill this calling and that my family would always still come first and they would not suffer because of it.  That was a big one to me - my family is always first and I needed to know that was okay.  I cried during and after that blessing - and a few times since then.

Am I okay now?  I still have my days where I struggle. Satan knows my weaknesses.  I still have times when I wonder how I will do it all. Every night this week was spent doing Relief Society and every night this week was a very late night.  I know it will get easier as I settle into it, so I just have to keep leaning on that faith and my Heavenly Father. Someone also told me that when their child was serving a mission, they did everything they could for the church so that Heavenly Father would do everything to protect their child.  I feel the same way - extra blessings for all of us and for my missionary.  I know this calling comes from above and their will be angels to help me through.  I just pray that I will be worthy of their guidance and the blessings that will continue to come my way.  I love to serve....and I will do the best that I know how. 

No comments:

Post a Comment